- Pat meat dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven on medium-high heat for 5 min. Brown meat in batches. Place beef aside and sprinkle with flour.
- Add garlic and onion to pot, and cook 3 to 4 minutes to soften.
- Add broth, scraping up browned bits from the bottom.
- Add beef, chopped tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer covered, on stove-top (or in 325°F oven) for 2 hour, or until beef is fork tender.
- Add vegetables; cook 30 to 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
Slow Cooker Recipe: After Step 5, transfer mixture along with carrots and potatoes to 24-cup (6 L) slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.